Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Overloading a power socket. How much is too much?

I was setting some new speakers and a new DVD player in my room, and the closest power socket is the one I use for my PC.

Now, ideally, i'd like to plug in everything(using a 6 plug board plus some double adapters) to save bending and changing plugs every time I want to switch from DVD player to PS2 etc. But thats a lot of stuff for one power outlet, isn't it?

TV
    PS2
    DVD player
    VCR
    Surround speakers for TV
    PC
    PC LCD Monitor
    Surround speakers for PC
    Lamp
    One of those Plasma Sphere thingos

I'm certain many of you on here could trump me by quite a bit in terms of amount of stuff plugged into one outlet, but is this dangerous, and what could potentially happen if I turned them all on and had them running at full capacity? Anything? Or have movies and TV shows lied to me?

I've got-

My computer
    LCD Monitor
    Speakers for Computer
    Lamp
    Heater
    Desktop Lamp
    Phone charger
    Guitar Amp

So fortunately, not much.

one outlet should run all those. have a look at the wattage of each, add them up and if its above 2400W then no, it unlikly that is is. there is a danger of fire tho when using so may double adapters e.t.c.

Yeah the fire was what I was worried about... Maybe i'll just put on a jumper instead of getting on of those fan heaters though.

Thanks guys

Generall, I find a single child is enough to overload a socket.

i've got all my pc stuff + more stuff in an 8-way adapter, one of them is a 2000watt heater and i've had no troubles. get a good surge protected power board though. (your pc should be on one anyways.)

You're not going to be running all that stuff at once though, so even if it is over 2400 watts, you should still be fine

At our LAN party back in the day, we had four to six computers running off one powerboard. I reckon you could get away with what you've got.

Just make sure the power board has overload protection and you'll have no need to worry about fire from overloading. Long as the thing has a 'reset' button and it's in working order you'll be right.

The condition of the power to your electronic appliances is another matter entirely.

Every house (and flat) has typically two or three AC power 'lines' supplying power to wall outlets. To see how many yours has check the fusebox. There'll be a fuse (or reset switch) for every 'line'. You can check which belong to which outlet remove the fuse (or trip the reset) for each in turn and see which outlets it disables.

Don't run your computer (or other sensitive gear like home entertainment appliances) on the sdame 'line' as large appliances which have motors which turn on and off. Fridges, freezers, washing machines and the like are murder on electronic gear.

I can't use a heater when the comp is on.
    There's only one double power point in the lounge room (with two 8 point power boards plugged in)